Oon Thian Seng is the Managing Partner of TS Oon & Partners. He is also an appointed Commissioner for Oaths and Notary Public.
Thian Seng is noted for his ability to handle transactions involving highly technical issues and is regularly instructed by clients in the banking, oil & gas, international trade, insurance, shipping and construction industries.
He is experienced in banking advisory and transactional work, structured trade, trade finance and project finance. He has experience in restructuring inward acquisitions, investment and joint ventures in Singapore, Malaysia and around the region. He regularly acts for commodities traders and banks in disputes involving letters of credit, bills of exchange and other financial instruments.
He also has extensive experience appearing as counsel in trials and appeals in the superior courts in Singapore and Malaysia as well as in international arbitrations.
Thian Seng’s work involves charters and Engineering, Procurement, Construction, Installation & Commissioning (EPCIC) contracts throughout Southeast Asia and India. He also acts for the building, sale and purchase, and charter of vessels and rigs, ownership structures for oil and gas vessel owners to set up businesses and joint venture agreements for projects in Malaysia (including Labuan offshore structures) and Singapore.
He advises regional and international underwriters on liability under various classes of insurance including marine, property, CAR, professional indemnity and public liability cover.
- Acted in a US$150 million claim involving water ingress into a submarine pipeline advising on liability issues and on insurance and reinsurance aspects of the claim.
- Acted for property and liability insurers defending policy liability arising from an explosion at a tank farm for sums payable under the policy and other business losses valued at US$50 million.
- Acted for two large Japanese shipowners and operators in joint venture and lease negotiations with local authorities to establish a ro-ro port terminal.
- Acted for a major Japanese shipowner and operator in joint venture with a large Indian corporate to establish a bulk carrier ship owning and operating company for mainly coal and steel cargoes.
- Acted in tonnage liability actions on several occasions:
- Acted for claimants in loss and damage to a methanol cargo on board the vessel “Bunga Alpinia” which exploded in Labuan.
- Acted for Owners in establishing the right to limitation in an allision between a bulk carrier and a cargo unloader in which claims for damage and loss of business exceeded US$70 million.
- Acted for claimants in relation to the theft of oil cargo due to piracy on board tankers in the South China Sea.
- Acted for an Irish MNC in the acquisition of a regional building material supply company with offices in Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam and India.
- Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific recommends Thian Seng under “Leaders in Their Field”. He is praised by clients as a “thorough, practical and accessible” practitioner. Clients also praised TS Oon & Partners Malaysia as “commercially grounded and definitely know their stuff” and admired “their responsiveness and the options that they provide“.
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific recommends Thian Seng as a “Leading Individual” and has commended his advice as “practical, commercial and delivers value“.
- Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific recommends him as a Dispute Resolution Star for his work in Shipping (Malaysia).
- Asia Business Law Journal ranks Thian Seng as one of Singapore’s top 100 lawyers.
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers recognises Thian Seng as a Distinguished Practitioner for his work in Shipping (Malaysia). The title is defined by the publication as lawyers who are highly regarded by their peers and possess a strong record and positive client feedback.