Prior to this, she was a director in the Corporate & Finance department at one of the renowned Big Four domestic law practices in Singapore. With over 18 years of experience as a corporate lawyer, Shiao Ning’s main area of practice is in public and private mergers and acquisitions covering domestic and cross border transactions, across a broad range of industries. Her other areas of practice extend to equity capital markets covering initial public offerings, rights issues and private placements, private equity, venture capital, general corporate advisory and SGX compliance work.
The 2016 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500 lists Shiao Ning as a recommended lawyer for Corporate/M&A, commenting that she is ‘highly effective’, ‘responsive and helpful’ with ‘expertise in private equity investments’.
Some notable transactions which Shiao Ning has been involved in include:
- Acted for Hotel Properties Limited (HPL) in relation to the mandatory conditional cash offer for HPL by 68 Holdings Pte. Ltd. (a consortium formed between Ong Beng Seng, David Ban and Wheelock Properties (Singapore) Pte. Ltd). This deal valued HPL at approximately S$2 billion.
- Acted for Swissco Holdings Limited, a marine service provider for the shipping and offshore oil and gas industry, in relation to its acquisition of Scott and English Energy Pte. Ltd., an offshore rig charterer, for a purchase consideration of S$285 million, being a very substantial acquisition under the rules of the Singapore Exchange.
- Acted for Jaya Holdings Limited in the disposal of its offshore support services business and offshore engineering services business at an aggregate value of S$638 million to Mermaid Marine Asia Pte. Ltd and Mermaid Marine Ltd.
- Acted for Overseas Union Enterprise (OUE) in the S$13.1 billion takeover bid for Fraser & Neave, Limited (F&N). The OUE offer was one of two competing offers for F&N, the other being the offer by TCC Assets Limited. This was one of South-East Asia’s largest takeovers. This transaction won the IFLR Asia Awards 2014 M&A Deal of the Year, Asian Legal Business SE Asia Legal Awards 2014 Southeast Asia Deal of the Year, Southeast Asia M&A Deal of the Year and Singapore M&A Deal of the Year, and was selected as one of the Asian-MENA Counsel Deals of the Year 2013.
- Acted for RSH Limited in the mandatory general offer for its shares by the Emaar Properties group and a subsequent voluntary conditional offer by Peak Retail Investments Pte. Ltd., which led to the compulsory acquisition and delisting of RSH.
- Acted for Eng Kong Holdings Limited, a container services company, in its takeover by the private equity group, Navis Capital Partners.
- Acted for SunGard Asia Pacific Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of SunGard Data Systems Inc., in its $120 million voluntary conditional offer to acquire all the shares of System Access Limited, a company providing software solutions for the banking and financial services industry in South East Asia, China, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
- Acted for Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore Branch, the independent financial adviser to SembCorp Logistics Limited in the S$1.4 billion takeover of SembCorp Logistics Limited by Toll Holdings Limited.
- Acted for Dovre Group Plc, a global provider of project management services and software, listed on the NASDAQ OMX Helsinki, in its investment into a renewable energy project developer based in Singapore with respect to project development in South East Asia.
- Acted for the Keppel Corporation group of companies in the privatizations of listed companies such as Keppel TatLee Finance Limited, Keppel FELS Energy & Infrastructure Ltd, Keppel Hitachi Zosen Limited and Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Ltd.
Lam Shiao Ning
Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
LLB., Hons. University of Hull, UK
Barrister-At-Law, England and Wales
Diploma in Financial Management, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, UK
Tel: (65) 6223 3893 / Mobile: (65) 9748 9490
Email: [email protected]